As the sun decides to finally shine more often than not at the moment, we’ve been having a few chats in the office about what’s hot or not on the bbq this summer; alongside the usual sausages, ribs and burgers, we’d like to suggest a few different ideas:
- Turkey Burgers – quick and easy to make and light and easy to eat. Mix 200g turkey mince with a fresh red chilli, chopped coriander, chopped spring onions, cumin powder, seasoning and add 1 egg.
- Fish Cakes – Mix a tin of salmon with a couple of handfuls of homemade breadcrumbs, add an egg, add a piece of white fresh fish such as Halibut or Haddock and mix all with a variety of fresh chopped herbs and seasoning. Dip again in breadcrumbs and pop on the bbq.
- Sliced Halloumi and Sweet Potato – always popular here with Jules.
- Vegan Skewers – create skewers with half a mushroom, slice of peach, a chunk of courgette and a large slice of red onion. BBQ until cooked and cover with an avocado dressing.
- Banana Smart! Slide a sharp knife down through a banana – fill it with Smarties and wrap in tin foil – put on bbq and after 10 mins enjoy – best scooped out with a teaspoon!
Best served with the following summery cocktail:
Hugo (in the Hedge)
- Fill a glass with ice
- Add 25ml Hedgerow Gin
- Add 20ml Elderflower cordial
- Top up with Prosecco and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.